"Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten." Welcome to my new and improved blog journaling my trip to Jerusalem for graduate school. Enjoy and read on!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The B-boy story you've all been waiting for!!!!!

Cross posted at Israelity.

"Thursday night, date night in Tel Aviv. One of these Thursday night trips to Dizengoff introduced me to another awesome aspect of Israeli culture: the B-boy. For those who are (or were) as unknowledgeable as me about the subject, a B-boy, or B-girl, is a guy or gal who break-dances. So “breakdancers in Israel”, you say?

In the corner of the mall, close to Shape and across from the movie theater, seven B-Boys were dancing. Surrounded by an older and less limber crowd, the boys weren’t just dancing; they were flipping, spinning, “coffee-grinding” (that’s a breakdance move, if you didn’t know). Luckily, I had my trusty Cool Pix with me to record this awesome event.



I spoke with Elad Slim (he is pretty slim) about the group which started back in 1999 and has gone through numerous reincarnations over the years. Elad himself began dancing after he had finished his three years of army service. When asked about what reactions he and the other B-Boys get, Elad laughs: “You always have people walking around the mall who stop to watch. Some of them cheer. Some people ignore us, but many ask questions, or want to learn a certain move in 30 seconds. The reaction is very positive.” Elad offered me a lesson for being so interested in their group. Unfortunately, close to 17 years of tap, jazz, and ballet, would not have prepared me for it, so I kindly declined.

Although Elad has no professional aspirations in breakdancing, he believes that break-dancing in Israel is on the rise and will soon match to the scenes that exist in both the United States and Europe."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back online. We missed you. Also, so glad the trusty Cool Pix is being put to such good use!!!!
-the goalie and his defense woman

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home