"Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten." Welcome to my new and improved blog journaling my trip to Jerusalem for graduate school. Enjoy and read on!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

I have decided to throw a party. It will be the first big girl party I have thrown and I am so INCREDIBLY excited. My purpose in planning this party (which will take place in two weeks) is to see my classmates outside of class. Since I do not live on campus, I feel that I am not as close to my program peeps as I really should be. Hence, I throw a party.

Anyhoo, I decided to purchase some candles to create ambiance (my party is going to be outside in our common area). After walking around, shaking my head over how ridiculously priced pretty, smell-well candles are, I decided to buy some yahrzeit candles.

Yahrzeit candles are plain white candles normally in a glass jar or can primarily used to commemorate the anniversary of a mother, father, sister, brother, or spouse's death. Since they last for many hours, Jews in Florida also use them during hurricanes and tropical storm when you are left without power (they are also good for making smores; your marshmallows don''t taste like sterno).

I go to Mega and see that the candles are 2 shekels each (less than 50 cents), so I fill my basket with 12 of them, and two large yahrzeit pillar candles (similar to the red and yellow catholic saint ones in the States). I also pick up a bottle of shampoo and a Diet Coke. I go up to the checkout line and wait my turn. When the lady gets to me, she stares in horror at my 12 candles. She comes out from behind the register and grabs my hands and says, "Hakol Beseder? Ani mitztaeret:" "Is everything alright? I am so sorry." I stand there stunned not knowing what to do. Why is this lady holding on to me? Then I realize I she was about to ring up 14 memorial candles. "Ken! Hakol beseder! Lo Anashim Met!" "Yes! Everything is alright! No dead people."

The lady goes back behind her register with a sigh of relief and continues to ring up my candles, shampoo and soda. When I get back to my apartment, I ask a friend if there was something halakhically wrong with what I did. No, it was just fine.

And I decorated them, too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure that the author of the comment on "Bethlehem...ain't your Momma's town" will like this story much better.

1:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home